Hi friends. I wanted to (finally) share with you my finished Lady Grey. When last we met, the collar was pinned to a ham and steamed and left overnight. I had the good fortune of having a four day weekend over Veterans Day and I made a commitment to myself that I would finish Lady Grey once and for all!
Imagine if you will, my consternation at realizing, after all the hand stitching involved with the under collar that I’d forgotten to add some additional length to the pattern piece when I increased the seam at the upper back! I had to find the collar pattern, figure out how much length to add, add it, cut the piece out and start the stitching all over again. This took the better part of a day out of my four days. I attached the upper and lower collar to the coat, and what a difference that extra length made. Previously, the collar was sort of perched on my shoulders but after the addition, it curves gracefully down as it’s meant to do.
After all that work, the facings and lining went together in a breeze! I finished my first ever set of bound buttonholes, hemmed the lining and set it in without any hitches. I did notice that the lining piece attached to the facing dips lower than the hem of the coat, but some quick hem stitches fixed that. Ta-da!
Wow, I’m so glad I decided to participate in this sew-a-long. I learned a lot, not just about tailoring but construction techniques like the aforementioned bound buttonhole and fitting! And now I’ve a beautiful jacket to wear! I feel as though I’ve caught a tailoring bug of some kind because I pulled out my collection of Claire Schaeffer “Custom Couture” Vogue patterns and would like very much to make a beautifully tailored wool tweed jacket for work wear.
In the meantime though, I think I’ll sew something that should go together quickly and easily (knock on wood!) for an instant gratification fix before I start on something as complex! I’m thinking of this pattern in a lovely chartreuse tropical wool will be just the thing!