Do you ever go to your local fabric store and fall utterly head over heels over a fabric and rush to the cutting table only to end up buying up the whole bolt much to the chagrin of the jealous onlookers who comment on your lovely fabric that is now yours all yours? Because I sure did. Observe.
How the heck could I walk away and NOT buy all this fabric, I ask you? I swear, after purchase, I took it home and gazed longingly at it and it’s companions (oh, guess I failed to mention that I bought other fabric too, hee hee). If you would like some too, I bought it at Joann’s in the better quilting fabric section.
I knew I had to pick a pattern that would do it justice because if I ended up making something I didn’t love with it, I would be oh so sad. So all that night I pored over my pattern archives, both vintage and modern searching for the perfect pattern to pair with this fabric of wonders. I also knew the pattern would have to have a bit of structure to it as quilting cottons aren’t known for their drapey qualities. After agonizing for hours (literally) I finally found the solution. Enter Vogue 8577. I’m talking the short version sans sleeves. Now I know what you’re thinking, it’s so plain! But after seeing other lovely versions of it, I knew I’d made the right choice. Also LOOK AT THOSE GLORIOUS POCKETS! You can fit your life in them! Ahem.
Well here’s my version of the dress.
What do you think? Cute non? Folks, I’ll be honest here. I’m in love with this dress. I think it’s some of my best work and I’ve hand tailored a coat! It looks very ’50s to me, which pleases me to no end and I think it’s a great marriage between pattern and fabric.
I made a lot of changes to this pattern. For starters, I cut the top in a 10 and graded out to a 14 for the skirt. I also completely omitted the lining as I felt it would make an already heavy dress unnecessarily heavier. What I did instead was draft an all-in-one facing with the neckline and fronts, stitched it right sides together to the dress and flipped the facing to the inside and top-stitched up and around the fronts and neck. I think it turned out great! Finally, I added a bit of rick-rack to the midriff band and neckline just to further emphasize those particular style lines. I thought about adding it to the pockets as well, but that looked a little too “vintage apron” to me so I opted not to.
I’m so pleased with this dress and I forsee that it will be getting a LOT of wear this season and into Summer. Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to go agonize over patterns to figure out what to make out of that plaid in the picture below!